The goal of the Methamphetamine and Fentanyl Laboratory Clean-Up Program is to protect human health by assuring that identified properties formerly used in illegal methamphetamine or fentanyl manufacturing are properly evaluated and decontaminated, and are fit for re-occupancy.
Methamphetamine Contaminated Property Cleanup Act of 2005
California Health and Safety Code, Chapter 6.9.1
Under the authority of the Santa Clara County Health Officer, HMCD is the implementing agency for oversight of clandestine methamphetamine laboratory clean-up activities in all areas of Santa Clara County.
This program applies to residential dwellings throughout Santa Clara County including: single-family homes, multi-family apartments, hotel rooms, as well as mobile homes and recreational vehicles, which have been identified by law enforcement as being used for manufacturing or storing methamphetamine.
- Property Restrictions:
- Entry into posted area(s) of the property is prohibited unless specifically approved in writing by HMCD.
- Anyone completing an unauthorized entry or removal is subject to a civil penalty in an amount of up to $5,000.00.
- Property Owner Responsibilities:
- The property owner and any person(s) occupying a property subject to an Order issued pursuant to HSC §25400.22 shall immediately vacate the affected unit.
- The property owner must hire a certified industrial hygienist and contractor, if necessary, for remediation of the property, and must provide proof to HMCD.
- Until the property owner receives a determination from HMCD that no further action is required to remediate the affected units or site, the following must be complied with:
- All prospective buyers of the property and tenants that have completed an application to rent an affected unit or other property described on the Order shall be provided with a copy of the Order and must indicate receipt in writing.
Forms & Documents
Fees are based at an hourly consultation/inspection rate. For more information on Meth/Fentanyl Lab fees, please click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you would like answers to frequently asked questions about meth/fentanyl labs, please click here.